Follow By Email

Monday, January 14, 2013

Sonic the Hedgehog Enters The Real World... Sort Of.


Whaddaya get when you take the world's fastest hedgehog, a somewhat known fan film director, and two years of sweet love making? You get the SONIC Fan Film, of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCtQpclpY8

For all of you who aren't familiar with this fine piece of work, allow me to give you the lowdown. Basically, back in 2011, amateur film director Eddie LeBron (previously known for the "Mega Man" fan film) released a trailer for his then up-and-coming Sonic short film. Everyone was hyped, including yours truly. I mean, seriously-- it's Sonic, brought to life! How fucking cool does THAT sound?

Now, don't get me wrong, I know how the live action Mario flick turned out... *shudder*... but, based on the trailers, the Sonic fan film was headed for greatness. And what made it even cooler-- or, "way past cool," I should say-- is the fact that he even managed to bring back Jaleel motherFUCKING White to reprise the role of Sonic. As soon as I heard that... I was sold.

The Sonic fan film made it's debut at MAGFest 11, which started on January 3rd of this year and ended on the 6th. The movie actually premiered on January 5th at the convention, and then made it's appearance worldwide on YouTube the following Thursday.

The film was met with mixed opinions from fans. Some people absolutely loved it, and some people absolutely hated it. Some people loved White's return to Sonic, and some people believe he's grown too old to play the hedgehog. Some people like the CG-live action hybrid, others want Eddie LeBron to die in a fire.

Me? I'm in the middle when it comes to Sonic's new live action shenanigans. When I initially saw the film, I thought it was a blast. Sonic looked and sounded as good as ever, Robotnik was menacing, the robots were... robotic, and those cameos! My God, those cameos. Loved 'em.

But later on, I found a lot wrong with that movie. For one thing, it took them two years to make that film, and only twenty minutes came out of it. I know it was only supposed to be a buildup to the first Sonic game, but a lot of the content just seemed rushed. Secondly, Sonic did not recieve enough screentime. Big problem. I wanted to see Sonic running fast, and flip around robots, and make fun of Robotnik some more-- not listen to a bunch of cardboard human actors spell out the plot to me! And also there were a bunch of plot inconsistencies. A LOT.

I could bitch and nitpick all day, but I don't want to drag it on too long. For what it was, SONIC was a good time, and it served it's purpose by showing us that a live action Sonic film CAN be done. So get on it, SEGA. Go. Get off your asses and go, the movie industry needs you. Also, get that Jaleel White motherfucker in with you. He needs to get paid more.

Be sure to watch it if you haven't already, and tell me what you think in the comments! As the hedgehog once said... gotta juice! (That means it's time to get the fuck outta here.)

1 comment:

  1. What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads.rs accounts for sale.I hope to contribute & aid other customers like its helped me. Great job.

    ReplyDelete