Follow By Email

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Why Violent Video Games AREN'T The Problem


Welcome back! Did you enjoy the boobies? You enjoyed the boobies. Anyway, today on the chopping block, I have a small discussion / rant to get underway. One of the issues I have with modern society is the supposed correlation between the video games industry and the much-talked-about violent acts which happen to be occurring within the United States. Now, strap in, folks. This is a two-parter. Hang onto your nutsacks, because it's... showtime!

ACT I: If a major shooting happens, chances are the shooter didn't take inspiration from Grand Theft Auto.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/study-89-percent-of-parents-believe-game-violence-a-problem-6402290

There's a belief held by parents and adults across the nation that violent acts such as school shootings and mass murders can be traced back to violent content within video games. Games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty and Hitman are often brought up in heated discussions by the media and various individuals who believe that violent video games are the cause of violence in children growing up.

There are several reasons as to why this accusation is both wrong AND stupid. Let's dig in, shall we...

First of all, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's not the video game company's fault that your child is aggressive. It's not the video game company's fault that someone was murdered. And it definetely wasn't the video game company's fault that an outbreak of violence has occurred within your area.

You are a parent. Meaning, you are supposed to have control over your child. The video game (that you love to blame oh so much) did not magically fall out of your child's ass. YOU had to buy it for them. M-rated games cannot be sold to any individual under the age of 17, meaning that little Johnny couldn't have walked into the GameStop and purchased the newest Call of Duty by himself. You assisted him in buying it somehow. Meaning it's YOUR fault that he even HAS the game in the first place. Regulations are fine the way they are, the parent is the one at fault here for letting the child have this game.

So what do you do when your child wants Hitman: Absolution for his birthday? YOU SAY NO. You're the one in charge here-- if you feel like your child can't handle or shouldn't have a game, then BE a fucking parent! Say no! Don't blame the video game companies for your own dumbass decisions.

Second of all, you can't exclusively blame video games for the violent behavior you're supposedly witnessing within your child, or children around you. There are sooooo many other causes of aggression, just blaming video games for it is some silly shit. The biggest issue that I can see, is bullying. Kids get bullied all the time. If they're smarter than the other kids, if they're weaker than the other kids, chances are they're being bullied in some way. It isn't always physical, like, shoving and whatnot, but also name calling and insults and the like. Once a kid is hurt, no matter if it's physically or mentally, their aggression starts to kick in. There is a such thing as a breaking point-- pretty soon, the kid will be fed up and his aggression will just explode. That's why you have to console with them, make sure they aren't bottling something up. Again-- BE a parent.

Next, think about other sources of media. Music. Now, let me tell you guys something-- I'm mixed. My ethicity, that is. I've got some black in me. But let me tell you, I fucking HATE new rap music. It's so disgusting, it barely even counts as music. But kids listen to it all the time. I HEAR it everywhere I go. It's always filled with "I'mma kill dis bitch, an I'mma fuck dat bitch," it's some other kind of fucked up. But, I mean, kids listen to it. And it's not just in rap music, there's plenty of other new music with suggestive lyrics that you let your kids listen to. Words are words, and they affect the mind accordingly.

What about movies? Another obvious one. Movies are so commonplace, and yet parents are so quick to blame the video game. All of these horror and slasher flicks, and action films, R-rated, sex, gore... granted, these movies have entry regulations as well, but here's the fucked up part-- there are some parents that take their kids to these movies ANYWAY! And even if it's not in the theater, kids can get DVDs and watch them with friends. Be a parent. If they're not supposed to be watching an R-rated film, don't let them. Images affect the mind just like words do.

My last point, and this is more personal than anything else... is that I, myself, played games like Street Fighter and Goldeneye and Killer Instinct when I was a boy. And now I'm a young adult-- I turned out just fine! I don't get into fights, and I've never even touched a gun. I'm actually very protective of my loved ones. So your stupid-ass baseless assumption doesn't even make any sense! Don't blame the video game companies.

ACT II: "Death to violent games! Bring peace to America!" Shut the hell up.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/violent-games-pulled-from-rest-stops-in-massachusetts-6402312

"The Massachusetts Department of Transportation has removed nine violent arcade-style games from rest stops on the Massachusetts Turnpike in Charlton, Ludlow, Lee, and Beverly, according to a Boston Globe report.

The move comes less than a month after the December 14 schoolhouse massacre in Newtown, Conn., which left 20 children and six adults dead. Transportation secretary Richard Davey said pulling the games just made sense in light of the events.
'Bottom line is I think there isn’t a person who doesn’t ­believe that there isn’t too much violence in our society, and games can glorify that,' Davey said. 'A video game in a public space could be used by anybody of any age. At the end of the day, those games are there to entertain kids, probably for a few minutes, while their parents are resting from a long trip.'"

The fact that video games are even, on a NATIONAL level, considered a legitimate cause for events like the Conneticut school shooting is such tripe. Now, am I saying that violence in video games can NEVER cause violence in real life? Of course I'm not. That'd be a really hasty generalization. But what I AM saying is that, with the arguments I've presented today, it's highly unlikely. Mr. Biden should not have to waste his time with something like this when there are more important matters at hand within the United States. I think one of the comments from this article says it best:

"Video games are not the problem... The fact that people can so easily access guns and other weapons is. The fact that the mentally unstable people that commit violent acts, do not receive help, is the cause.

A game, with some FAKE, FALSE, and UNREALISTIC violence? I don't see how that changes anything... These people that commit violent crimes are going to commit them regardless of whether they played a game or not.

Plus, I notice you never mention... Violent Books. Violent Movies. Violent TV shows.

People always convineiently forget those things."

On that note, I think I'm gonna end this bad boy, before I pull a muscle or something. Thanks for reading. Come back soon!

NEXT TIME: Is Pac-Man the cause for childhood obesity? STAY TUNED.

xoxoxo
Your friendly neighborhood Zero Man

1 comment:

  1. I loved as much as you’ll receive performed right here. runescape accounts for sale cheap I have read so many articles or reviews on the topic of the blogger lovers however this post is genuinely a fastidious article. I checked on the web for more info about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.

    ReplyDelete